The Incentive Award Program offers:
- The cost of tuition, fees, room and board at the University of Maryland, College Park for four years, or eight semesters, not to exceed financial need. (The award can also be applied to the university’s study abroad programs.)
- Academic coaching, advising and faculty/staff mentorship, as well as dedicated Incentive Awards staff available to offer guidance or referrals on a drop-in basis.
- A two-day orientation to the program.
- A summer transitional program to ease students into university life prior to freshman year. Special learning workshops on topics like undergraduate research and career choices.
- Leadership standing in the academic community as recipients of a highly competitive award.
- Leadership opportunities within the Incentive Awards community and through program outreach activities.
- Networking opportunities with important community, business and educational leaders through luncheons, educational programming and an annual spring reception for students and donors.
Incentive Award Scholars are expected to:
- Participate in a summer transitional program prior to the start of freshman year.
- Make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the program’s academic requirements.
- Serve as role models for students in their high schools and home communities and participate in a regular program of outreach activities and high school visits.
- Attend community meetings throughout the academic year.
- Complete service projects benefiting communities in the Baltimore-Washington corridor.
- Be active in the Incentive Awards Scholars community at the university, participating in program workshops and events and mentoring new scholars entering the program.
- Communicate regularly with assigned faculty or staff mentors.
- Demonstrate strong character and exceptional behavior that accurately represents the program and the university.
- Get involved on campus.